What does it cost?
SINGLE membership of £30.00 provides cover for a single person only.
CHILD membership of £11.00 provides cover for one child up until the end of full-time education.
FAMILY membership of £70.00 provides cover for a couple or single parent with children until they leave full time education.
SENIOR CITIZEN who is 65 years or over may pay a specially reduced membership of £25.00 (for a couple both senior citizens, £45.00).
What is the St John Support Scheme?
As a local resident, by becoming a member of our Supporter Scheme, you’ll help us provide essential services and at the same time support St John. In return, you’ll receive:
- unlimited free assessment and medical treatment by paramedics or other qualified staff;
- unlimited transfer by emergency ambulance, in the event of an injury, serious illness, or other medical condition;
- 10 transfers by ambulance under the direct instructions of a Health Care Professional where you are unfit to travel by any other means for treatment or medical appointment.
(Where you do not meet the conditions you will be subject to normal charges for ambulance
transfers regardless of your membership to the St John Supporter Scheme.)
How does the supporter scheme work?
To become a St John Supporter, you pay a 2017 membership fee – either as an individual or a family. The usual part-charge for an emergency ambulance response is over 10 times more than the annual cost of being a St John Supporter, so our scheme offers you great value for money.
Are there any restrictions?
There is no limit to the number of emergency ambulance responses you may have, and no age limit to become a St John Supporter, however there will be restrictions to the number of non-emergency patient transfers covered under your membership. This membership will cover you for 10 non-emergency patient transfers. (This does not apply to transfers in respect of renal dialysis treatment). Should you require more than 10 transfers within your membership period, a top-up subscription can be purchased. As a member you cannot request a non-emergency patient transfer just because you subscribe. The fact that you may need to go for medical treatment to a hospital or other centre does not necessarily mean that you require an ambulance. Except for emergencies we only respond when a Health Care Professional decides that your transfer is necessary and that your medical condition, makes you unfit to travel by any other means.
What if I don’t join?
An ambulance responding to an emergency call can incur a charge of up to £350 for each response. A non-emergency patient transfer by ambulance booked in advance by a Health Care Professional will incur a charge of up to £156; other charges will be applied for specialist services (e.g. paramedic treatment). As a St John Supporter you will not be charged, regardless of the number of emergency responses and treatment you may need.
How long does membership last?
Membership is valid until 31/12/17. You can join at any time. Should you have any queries please contact us on 01481 723866.
Did you know?
- Our ambulance service is only part funded by the States of Guernsey, so we need to raise additional funds to support it and to provide our other community and rescue services in the Bailiwick
- The donations you give us will be used in the Bailiwick of Guernsey to provide inshore rescue boats, a marine ambulance, a cliff rescue team and community first responders.
- The St John community rescue services respond to over 100 call-outs a year
- The road ambulance service responds to an average of 12 emergencies and a further 30 patient transfers every single day
- The St John Health Care Shop has a range of over 1000 products for sale or hire at its showroom in the Rohais, St Peter Port
If you can help with a donation to this charitable work, please let us know or send it to:
The St John Ambulance & Rescue Service,
St. Peter Port,